Craftsman 16'' 38cc Gas Chain Saw - Case IncludedItem# 07138170000 | Model# 38170
Specifications & Dimensions
|Color and Styling:|
|Item Weight (lbs.):||13.4|
|Handle Material:||Nylon plastic|
Ratings & Reviews
Whether you're cutting firewood, trimming trees or cleaning up after a storm, this Craftsman Gas Chain Saw will be your next go-to tool. At 16 inches long, the Craftsman's two-cycle 38 cc engine is tough enough to take on many jobs around the house or yard. It will rip through trees or whittle stumps down to size. Its plastic handle is designed to cut down on vibration for comfort, and an automatic chain oiler lets you keep cutting for as long as needed.
- Dependable two-cycle 38cc engine
- 16” long
- Nylon plastic handle for vibration-free durability
- Automatic chain oiler
- Convenient carrying case for easy transportation to and from the job site
- Grey finish
Added on March 19, 2014
Overall, others give this:
Reviewers may have received a benefit, like a sweepstakes entry or rewards program points, in exchange for writing a review.
Those benefits were not conditioned on the positive or negative content of the review.
Most Helpful Reviews
I followed the directions on all paperwork that came with the chainsaw and for the 1st 3 weeks I could not get it to come on. I had someone come over and had them help me and we finally got it to crank. But now I have another problem, It wont stay on, i can saw maybe for a min or 2 then it turns off. I don't know what is wrong but I have not had time to call the 800 # figure out either. Im willing to work on it even tho i feel like i shouldn't have to with it being brand and having problems right out the box. I will keep it but i would not recommend it.
Had to remove my gloves to get it to prime the first time but after that it started with ease. Blade is sharp and properly tensioned out of the box. Easy to use and the narrow blade lets you get between the trunks of multiple tallow trees growing out of one stump.
Crafstman does it again, this chainsaw was bought to clean up after a storm damaged several medium sized trees. From the first cut to the most recent one, it performs well with little kick.
I bought this saw in 2010 and the only difference is I have the tool less chain tightening system; but it is the 16" 38cc buzz saw. In 4 years I've cut through over 10 cords of wood from soft maple to fresh cut hard oak. I seriously want this to die because I want something with a 20" bar, but I can't kill this thing. I really can't complain so I thought it was 5 star worthy. I always keep my chains sharp, perfect fuel mixture, clean air filter, etc - I take great care of all my toys even though i want this one dead. I never had a single problem with this until this year. Gas started to leak at the bottom and it wasn't priming easily. I determined it was the gas cap itself. I replaced the cap (easy to find through sears parts with the part number) and it's back to out of the box new for me. That's what reminded me to review it. So all in all, I have to say this was worth the purchase for me. I already got my money's worth but it's still running strong.
It's the cheapest gas saw on the market, so what do you expect? Yes it works, and I've cut down 2 medium oaks, 1 large willow and trimmed a lot of trees. Pros: It's lightweight. This is important when climbing or using it all day. Cons: It's a pain to start - The trick is to give it 6 pumps of gas with the red primer bulb and pull the cord a few times, then repeat the process as many times as it takes (usually about 4-5 cycles). You will not flood this baby so don't worry about giving too much gas, it won't start without it. Once started, let it warm up first or else it will stall. It leaks oil - If you fill it with bar oil, it will all leak out overnight sitting in the case. My solution is to only fill it with about 1 - 2 oz of oil, then check every 30 min to make sure it hasn't run out. It's slightly under-powered. A 14" bar is probably more appropriate for this saw.
Saw worked ok for its size for the first year. Now, 2.5 years later, it will not run for more than 5 minutes. This saw is not the exact same as the one I purchased, but is only cosmetic changes. After much diagnosis, I have determined that the saw no longer has compression after getting hot. This is a very common problem with craftsman's chainsaws. You are better off purchasing a reputable brand for approximately $100+ more. You will get 10+ years of use out of a brand name it. Take into consideration, you will have to purchase a new chainsaw in a few years and the more expensive one looks like a deal. Unless you are looking to do some clearing over the course of 1 year and never use it again, skip this saw.
Orland Park, IL
I hoped we would get a unit that could handle some light duty cutting without any of the problems I read about related to this product. Unfortunately, that did not happen. It started up three times in a row without any real trouble, but it never actually cut anything. Every time we prepared to cut, it died without having touched anything. After three failed attempts, it just wouldn't start anymore. Nice. Then when returning it to Sears, they acted like they were doing a favor by allowing full credit because we had put gas into it. How else does one find out if the unit works or not?! Spend more money on a better unit if at all possible.
- 5% Instant Savings or Special financing on Lawn & Garden items over $299 with Sears card. Offer ends 30-May-2015 See details.
- Free shipping! Orders $59 or more Offer ends 31-Dec-2015 See details.
- Online Only! EXTRA 5% off Chain Saws Sold by Sears. Discount reflected in price shown Offer ends 09-May-2015 See details.
- Get Quarter ct tw Diamond Earrings for $19.99 with any storewide purchase of $19.99 or more! Offer ends 31-May-2015 See details.
- Get Cheval Jewelry Mirror for $139.99 reg price $199.99, with any purchase. Offer ends 10-May-2015 See details.
- Get Anvil or Bypass Pruner for $9.99 with lawn & garden purchase of $25 or more! Offer ends 31-May-2015 See details.
- Get 2-Pack Decorative Pillows for $12.99, reg price $24.99, with any purchase. Offer ends 10-May-2015 See details.
- Get sentiment pillows for $9.99, reg price $24.99, with any purchase. Offer ends 10-May-2015 See details.
- Get watercolor animial decorative pillows for $7.99, reg price $19.99, with any purchase. Offer ends 10-May-2015 See details.
- Get Victoria Classics 650 Thread Count Sheet Set for $14.99 reg price $59.99, with any purchase. Offer ends 09-May-2015 See details.