|Cutting Deck & Blade:|
|Anti-Scalp Gauge Wheels:||Yes|
|Blade Type:||Bagging and Side Discharge|
|Blade Width (in.):||23|
|Cutting Deck Material:||Steel|
|Cutting Deck Nose Roller:||No|
|Cutting Deck Type:||Floating|
|Cutting Height Adjustment Increments:||0.25 in.|
|Cutting Height Adjustment Type:||Hand Lever|
|Cutting Height Maximum (in.):||4|
|Cutting Height Minimum (in.):||1.5|
|Cutting Width (In.):||46|
|Deck Thickness (Gauge):||12|
|Number of Cutting Blades:||2|
|Number of Deck Anti-Scalp Gauge Wheels:||2|
|Controls and Features:|
|Blade Engagement Type:||Manual|
|Overall Item Dimensions:||70x47x35.5|
|General Warranty:||2 year full, 5 year frame limited lifetime front axle|
|Item Weight (lbs.):||530|
|Terrain Type:||Flat, Uneven, Hilly, Steep, Obstacles|
|Frame Material:||Welded Steel|
|Frame Type:||Fully welded|
|Front Axle Material:||Cast iron|
|Number of Wheels:||4|
|Step Thru Frame:||Yes|
|Maximum Forward Speed (mph):||5.5|
|Maximum Reverse Speed (mph):||5.5|
|Mow in Reverse:||No|
|Number of Forward Speeds:||Infinite|
|Number of Reverse Speeds:||Infinite|
|Steering Wheel Type:||Deluxe|
|Turning Radius (in.):||18|
|Air Filter Type:||Dual|
|Charging System Amperage:||150 CCA|
|Cooling System Type:||Air Cooled|
|Cylinder Liner:||Cast iron|
|Engine Brand:||Briggs & Stratton(r)|
|Engine Lubrication System:||Pressurized|
|Engine Displacement (cc):||540|
|Number of Cylinders:||1|
|Oil Filter Type:||Spin On|
|Overhead Valve Engine:||Yes|
|Throttle Adjustment:||Auto choke|
|Wheels & Tires:|
|Front Tire Size:||15 x 6 in.|
|Rear Tire Size:||20 x 8 in.|
|Accessory or Attachment:|
|2 Bin Bagger Part Number:||#24019|
|Bag Kit Included:||No|
|Dozer Blade Capable:||No|
|Electric Clutch For Attach.:||No|
|Hauling Equipment:||Light Hauling|
|Mulch Kit Included:||Sold Separately|
|Mulch Kit Part Number:||#33060|
|Snow Blade or Thrower Capable:||Snow blade|
|Fuel Capacity (gal.):||1.5|
|Fuel Gauge Location:||None|
|Speed Control:||Foot pedal|
|CARB Compliant:||Not Compliant with Cali. Air Resource Board|
|Seat Size:||Deluxe high back|
|Tractor Grade:||Lawn Tractor|
Ratings & Reviews
This Craftsman Lawn Tractor Easily Tackles Large Lawns In Less Time
A durable construction, powerful engine and precision cutting come together in the Craftsman 46inch 21hp riding lawn mower. The frame is constructed with 12-gauge steel, and the cast-iron front axle for long-lasting dependable performance. A 21 hp Briggs & Stratton® OHV engine powers through thick grass with ease and provides the smooth cutting performance you need for managing large lawns. The electronic ignition starts up quickly. And the automatic transmission makes operation effortless with speeds up to 5.5 miles per hour.
This Craftsman lawn tractor has a wide 46 inch deck that handles large lawns in fewer passes. Twin blades provide a precision cut and can be adjusted for heights of 1.5 to 4 inches, making it ideal for a large variety of turf types, seasons and your own personal lawn care regimen. Large wheels provide excellent traction and roll smoothly. And the tractor pulls light loads, so you can outfit it with additional lawn care equipment for more versatility.
- Craftsman 46inch 21 hp riding lawn mower is easy and comfortable to operate
- 540cc Briggs & Stratton OHV engine* delivers more power, long engine life and improved fuel economy
- Automatic foot pedal controls automatic transmission for speeds up to 5.5 miles per hour
- Electonic ignition starts up quickly
- 46 inch precision-cutting deck adjusts from 1.5 to 4 inch cutting heights for flexibile performance
- Large Turf Saver wheels minimize scalping while turning, so mowing doesn't damage lawn
- 12-gauge steel frame is strong and reduces vibrations
- Cast-iron front axle
- Reinforced steel hood with resin side ventilators
- Steel brace locks down fuel tank for maximum stability
- Deluxe padded seat slides forward and backward
- Includes cup holder
- 2-year full warranty backed by Sears In Home Service
- Limited lifetime warranty on cast-iron front axle
- Not available in California
*As rated by engine manufacturer
Added on January 06, 2011
Overall, others give this:
Reviewers may have received a benefit, like a sweepstakes entry or rewards program points, in exchange for writing a review.
Those benefits were not conditioned on the positive or negative content of the review.
Most Helpful Reviews
Dear Sears,Today is our 50th wedding anniversary and as a gift to one another we purchased our 4th Sears riding mower. Our first was purchased in 1972 the year we built and moved into our new home on one acre. We couldn't be happier with one another and our new Sears mower, the Craftsman Lawn Tractor, 21 HP, 46 inch Deck, Model No. 247.288852.Thank you Sears for 40 years of great quality and service. YOU ARE THE BEST. Mr.& Mrs Richard Kuehl Portland,Or.
I previously owned the same Craftsman tractor for 17 years. Great mower. So didn't even consider any other name brand when purchasing a new one. Big mistake. This mower is not good on even a small incline. Losses power. Gas pedal is too far away & when stretching to reach it, seat lifts & stalls engine. Gears make clunking noise when changing. Blows debris from under deck back onto my body & all over the mower itself. Also fills the headlights with grass. Some type of "tinny" sound coming from blades. Deck too heavy to lift. Gas tank hard to fill. I could go on & on, but you get the picture. If this one lasts a year, I will be lucky. Have only used it about 6 or 7 times, and wish I could return it. I am a 68 year old retired lady who just wanted a mower that was easy to operate. I sure didn't get it..........
I made a mistake buying this mower instead of a smaller one. This machine would be fine for a 5 acre estate with no hills or trees. It cuts a lot of grass rapidly. But it tends to scalp going over a rise, and is very difficult to manoeuvre. The drive needs to be disconnected to back up. It has a very large turning radius. For a small yard (less than 1 acre) one would be best off with a very small single blade mower because it still would mow the lawn in a very short time and would tend to cut more evenly. I was mislead by the low price, but i do like it a little bit. It is very powerful and isn't affected by tall grass or weeds. Gets about 2 mpg.
I replaced my 15 year old 19.5 hp mower with this one. This is a city mower I need a country one! The good. IT looks GREAT.The steering and frame are greatly improved. The adjustable seat. It is quiet powerful and fast. I paid about the same price as 15 years ago. Cup holder. The BAD! The fuel tank is smaller and engine is larger requiring a pitstop mowing the same yard.The left peddle is uncomfortable and no fine control. Direction changes are Horrible! The old model all speed and direction changes were done with one hand. This thing requires you to lift right foot, Disengage the mower with right hand, Change direction with left hand, Back up and reverse procedure. You get a lot of practice in this due to the huge forward mounted anti-scalping wheels that are attracted to fencing, posts and anything you mow near. The discharge shoot is ridiculously large and poorly designed compared to early model. 2 flat tires on the first run. This mower is OK but not as good as expected from Sears
The price of the mower was good, but when I got it home I realized that the throttle cable was broken loose from the mounting. Had to remove the gas tank to be able to get to the throttle cable housing. I certainly hope this now fixes the problem for good.
We love the mower except for the reverse feature. It doesnt mow in reverse.Besides that is an exceptional mower. It has great cutting power. Love the water attachment to clean under the deck.
Plenty of HP here, does a good job of cutting I love the 46 inch cut! Also does not burn up all of my gas! Don't understand why people cant reach the foot peddles I'm 5'11" and have no issues reaching them. My dislikes: my parking brake must not be engaging all of the way because if I get off the seat it shuts off, the battery was dead when it came off the truck, and I don't like disengaging the blades to go in reverse. I will be buying the mulch kit because the side discharge can really launch foreign objects far and I have to yell at my young kids to get out of the way.
1. Gas/forward pedal: I'm 6', and even with work-boots on, the 'stretch' to hit 'full throddle'/forward is BARELY reachable. I either have to add a rubber/wood block to the pedal, or return the mower. The manufacturer's )MTD) ergonomic engineers were asleep on this one. No wonder another reviewer's note listed, "my wife can't mow; can't reach the pedal." I can't imagine mowing over 10 minutes without pain. 2. Although customer-service, via phone, was helpful, and adjustments made (even though it took about 1/2 hour, via net/phone/etc. a. NO keys with mower (but my 8-year-old Craftsman key fit!) b. Defective seat: vinly imperfection; couple of indentations that were almost completely through to the foam. Inspect your's closely. 3. I suggest you stick with a 6-speed, even though I could not find one over 42" cut; can't someone make a 46" 6-speed within the price-range? ANYONE KNOW OF ONE, ANYWHERE? 4. Deflate the tires: they are about 8 pounds/PSI 'over'; harsh ride.
any problems that I have experienced with my 2003 mower have been eliminated by design improvement (front axle is now cast so it won't bend, mower deck supports have been improved, no more bent or broken rods, ect...) this mower cuts my lawn a lot easier, better and faster.
- FREE DELIVERY on Riding Mowers & Tractors over $1,299 when you buy online or with in store coupon. Offer ends 06-Jul-2013 See details.
- FREE BUCKET with any Lawn & Garden purchase over $49. 1 bucket per customer. Must pick up in store Offer ends 29-Jun-2013 See details.
- Online Only, extra 5% off tractors over $1299 sold by Sears Offer ends 06-Jul-2013 See details.