Craftsman 48 pc. SAE & Metric Thread Restorer KitOnline only | / Sears Exclusive. | Item# 00942275000 | Model# 971 2750
Specifications & Dimensions
|Item Weight (lbs.):||4.5|
|Package Contents:||7 SAE Course Dies,7 SAE Fine Dies,10 Metric Dies,6 SAE Coarse Taps,6 SAE Fine Taps,10 Metric Taps,1 SAE and Metric Rethread File|
|Product Type:||Tap & die sets|
|Quantity in Set:||48 pc.|
|Units Type:||SAE and Metric|
|Materials & Finishes:|
|Included with Item:|
Ratings & Reviews
The 48-pc SAE Metric Thread Restorer Kit Makes Tough Jobs Easier
With the Craftsman 48-pc SAE metric thread restorer kit, mechanics and handymen no longer need fear stripped bolts. This kit contains everything you need to repair and restore old, damaged and stripped threads on bolts and studs, whether they are internal or external. For internal repairs, use the rethreading taps and dies with standard wrenches and a light oil for chasing out damaged threads and removing nicks and burrs. For external repairs, use the files to restore damaged threads any diameter, right or left hand.
The rethreading taps and dies of the 48-pc SAE metric thread restorer kit feature hardened steel for strength and durability, and hex-shaped, they're easy to use with both socket and wrench. This 48-piece tooling set is color-coded with metric sizes in gold, National Fine sizes in black and National Course sizes in bright silver. A solid restoration set, built to get bolts and holes fixed fast, add it to your garage, for solid performance you can count on.
- Craftsman 48-pc SAE metric thread restorer kit consists of a 48-piece tooling set with metric and SAE parts
- Kit includes: 7 SAE Course Dies, 7 SAE Fine Dies, 10 Metric Dies, 6 SAE Coarse Taps, 6 SAE Fine Taps, 10 Metric Taps, 1 SAE, 1 Metric Rethread File
- Designed for use with standard wrenches
- Hardened steel for strength and durability
- Color-coded for quick visual identification
- Comes in a well-organized, sturdy plastic case
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Note: This kit is for restoration of threads only and should not be used for cutting new threads
- Available for Gift Wrap
Added on July 26, 2010
Overall, others give this:
Reviewers may have received a benefit, like a sweepstakes entry or rewards program points, in exchange for writing a review.
Those benefits were not conditioned on the positive or negative content of the review.
Most Helpful Reviews
This set and the 40 piece set are made of weak metal and the taps are not sharp. The taps will bind and possibly break when you try to clean out rusty threads. This set might be ok for light work but I would recommend one of the other more expensive sets. See my review for the 40 piece set.
This kit is made in USA and has both Metric and SAE thread sizes. I looked around at what other options were available and found that this appears to be the same kit you can buy for 3X the price from your local tool delivery service, it is also very convenient to have the thread files included in the same box. I bought 2 of these, one for each shop at work.
I haven't used it yet but looks like a high quality product but I have used other brands versions which looks exactly the same and it is a life saving tool to have in your tool box. This is not to be used as a tap and die for cutting threads! This product is for straightening out threads that are messed up.
This is a fantastic kit for the price. The quality is the same as much more expensive pieces from high end brands. A necessity for any serious tool box. EDIT: This kit comes from the same manufacturer that the truck brands take and slap their logo on and sell for 3x-5x the price. This set has saved my **** twice already - once when I encountered a deformed wheel stud and the grinding bars filed the threads back to shape and once when I deformed an intake manifold bolt that threaded into the engine block. A quick run through of the bolt in the proper die and the bolt threaded back into its hole like butter. HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Cleans threads right up. I needed a 14mm size tap and die and there aren't too many inexpensive sets with this size available. Keep in mind, that this is not a true tap/die set and mainly to chase existing threads. This kit had just what I needed. I would give it 5 stars but the threads of my 8mm size "die" sheared right off on some stubborn threads. Thanks Craftsman for your Forever Warranty. I did have some problems replacing it since this is an ONLINE ONLY item and not available in stores. Finally got it replaced.
This set is very different from tap/die sets which will mess up a hole or thread if used to "repair" the hole or thread as they will cut new threads. Much better to use this thread restorer kit to fix threads or holes and usually reuse the fastener too.
This is a great set. It is made by the same company that supplies the professional truck brands. This is not a tap and die set, and should not be used to cut new threads. I used it to clean the stripped threads on a part that sells for $350 new so the kit paid for itself in one use. I now use the kit on all kinds of rusty threads and can't believe that I made due without these tools for so long. This set is made in the USA. There is no guarantee on this kit, but replacements parts are available from various truck-brand (SO) websites for cheap.
- Use your Sears Card and Save! Extra 5% off Tool items Sold By Sears when you use your Sears Card Offer ends 31-Dec-2015 See details.
- Free shipping! Orders $59 or more Offer ends 31-Dec-2015 See details.
- ONLINE ONLY! SYW Max Members get $5 back in points with a purchase of $25 or more in Tools. Offer ends 30-Apr-2015 See details.
- Get Quarter ct tw Diamond Earrings for $19.99 with any storewide purchase of $19.99 or more! Offer ends 31-May-2015 See details.
- Get Anvil or Bypass Pruner for $9.99 with any storewide purchase of $25 or more! Offer ends 31-May-2015 See details.
- Get Cheval Jewelry Mirror for $139.99 reg price $199.99, with any purchase. Offer ends 10-May-2015 See details.