News & Accolades
Craftsman in the news [ The latest from Craftsman, America's most trusted tool brand. ]
- Current Headlines
- Craftsman Brand Poised to Nail DIY in 2012
- Craftsman Experience Celebrates One-Year Anniversary as Ultimate Do-It-Yourself Playground
- The Craftsman Brand Named Top Power Tool in Nationwide Brand Survey
- Craftsman Multi-Purpose Garage Flooring Offers Durability and Customization
- Craftsman Launches Tough New Industrial Line of Mechanic Hand Tools
- Craftsman Ball-Bearing Tool Storage Combo Just $199.98 During Special Promotions
- New Universal Mechanics Tool Set, Universal Ratchet and Socket Set Added to Craftsman Hand Tools Lineup
- New 51-Piece MAX AXESS™ Mechanics Tool Set from Craftsman Eliminates Need for Deep Sockets
- Craftsman Launches Frank Fontana Podcast
- Craftsman Introduces TurnTight Technology
- Craftsman Debuts New NEXTEC Tools
- Popular Mechanics Readers' Choice Award 2010
- Craftsman Brand Opens the Craftsman Experience in Downtown Chicago
- One Man's 3,300 Mile Odyssey on a Craftsman Garden Tractor
- Craftsman Tools Asks Fans to Put "Trust in Your Hands"
- Craftsman, Harbor Town Links Offer Tips and Tools For a Healthy Lawn
- Ace Hardware Announces Plan to Sell Craftsman Tools
- Craftsman Featured At The International Builder's Show
- Craftsman, NASCAR Announce Wrenchman Award Finalists
- Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Cordless Drills
- Popular Mechanics Reader's Choice Awards
- Craftsman and NASCAR® Announce New Award
- Four Craftsman Tractors Make 2009 Top Ten
- Craftsman Products Nominated for Award
- Craftsman Sponsors ESPN Tech Garage
- Consumers Trust Craftsman, Poll Shows
- Craftsman 2009 Lawn & Garden Debuts
- Craftsman, Helmets to Hardhats Team Up
- Craftsman - Official Tools of DIY Network
Be inspired by project and tool advice from other craftsmen. Visit the Community
ONE MAN, ONE MOWER AND 3,300 MILES: CRAFTSMAN® ACROSS AMERICA PUTS RIDING LAWN TRACTOR TO THE TEST
Coast-to-Coast Journey to Measure Performance and Meet Craftsman Fans in America's Heartland Along the Way
HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. (May 14, 2010) - While weekend warriors across the country fire up their lawn mowers to tackle yards large and small this spring, Craftsman is giving its lawn tractors the ultimate road test. On May 15 one driver will climb aboard a Craftsman riding lawn tractor in Santa Monica, Calif., to kick off the first-ever Craftsman Across America tour. The three-month endurance test will cover roughly 3,300 miles of U.S. asphalt and lawns before concluding in New York City on Aug. 24.
"Craftsman Across America is a great way to demonstrate the durability and performance of our brand while engaging people across the country, including our loyal Craftsman customers," said Kris Malkoski, vice president and general manager of the Craftsman brand. "If our lawn tractor can withstand a coast-to-coast journey in the middle of summer, just imagine what it can do for the average lawn. We're excited to hit the road, put our product to the test and visit with Craftsman fans along the way."
The driver and his Craftsman lawn tractor will make scheduled stops at Sears Hometown Store locations along the route for special events that will include driver 'meet and greets' as well as a $5,000 check presentation to a parks and recreation organization in each of the cities listed below. Additional pit stops will be made at Sears Hometown Store locations and other locations in more than 20 cities along the route, to give fans a chance to meet the man who is mowing across America.
- Santa Monica, Calif. - Saturday, May 15
- Phoenix area - Saturday, May 29
- Albuquerque, N.M. area - Saturday, June 19
- Tulsa, Okla. area - Saturday, July 10
- Branson, Mo. area - Sunday, July 18
- St. Louis, Mo. area - Sunday, July 25
- Indianapolis area - Monday, Aug. 2
- Central Pennsylvania - Sunday, Aug. 15
Craftsman Across America enthusiasts can visit www.craftsmanacrossamerica.com to track the driver's journey, find out where he is stopping next, leave suggestions on places to visit and read the Craftsman Across America blog with commentary, images and video that will be uploaded from the road each day.
Serving as the driver will be Lucas Van Engen. Van Engen currently resides in New York City and grew up in South Bend, Ind. With a love for engineering and a passion for people and travel, he is well suited for the trip. For Van Engen, it's a dream come true to travel across the country, interview and meet people along the way and find stories that will be shared with fans online, all while on a tractor.
"I'm excited to embark on this unique journey across America," said Van Engen. "With my Craftsman tractor taking me from coast-to-coast, I know I've got a trusted partner for my upcoming travels."
The Craftsman lawn tractor chosen for the haul through America's heartland is the Craftsman 54-inch Kohler Courage 26-horsepower Gas Powered Riding Garden Tractor (#28948). It provides the latest in durability, comfort and performance from Craftsman. The garden tractor can cut grass at speeds up to 7.5 MPH, matching the speed of many zero-turn tractors. It is powered by a 26-horsepower Kohler Courage V-twin engine with overhead valves. The heavy duty premium hydrostatic/automatic transmission matches the speed of the mower with the job at hand. It also features a 54-inch precision cutting deck with four gauge wheels. The Craftsman 54-inch Kohler Courage 26-horsepower Gas Powered Riding Garden Tractor retails for $3,479.99.
To learn more about Craftsman lawn tractors and the wide selection of other lawn and garden products needed to maintain a well kept yard, visit www.craftsman.com or one of the many Sears or Sears Hometown Stores nationwide. For more than 80 years, Craftsman has developed innovative products. Craftsman was ranked as the most trusted tool brand in America in the 2008 Harris Interactive Equitrend Brand Study.
About Sears Holdings Corporation
Sears Holdings Corporation is the nation's fourth largest broadline retailer with approximately 3,900 full-line and specialty retail stores in the United States and Canada. Sears Holdings is the leading home appliance retailer as well as a leader in tools, lawn and garden, home electronics and automotive repair and maintenance. Sears Holdings is the 2010 ENERGY STAR® Retail Partner of the Year. Key proprietary brands include Kenmore, Craftsman and DieHard, and a broad apparel offering, including such well-known labels as Lands' End, Jaclyn Smith and Joe Boxer, as well as the Apostrophe and Covington brands. It also has the Country Living collection, which is offered by Sears and Kmart. We are the nation's largest provider of home services, with more than 12 million service calls made annually. Sears Holdings Corporation operates through its subsidiaries, including Sears, Roebuck and Co. and Kmart Corporation. For more information, visit Sears Holdings' website at www.searsholdings.com.
About Sears Hometown Stores
Sears Hometown Stores were developed seventeen years ago to serve Sears customers in locations outside of major metropolitan cities. There are currently nearly 950 Hometown Stores throughout the United States and Puerto Rico. These stores carry all of the top home appliance brands, consumer electronics, tools and lawn and garden equipment. Sears Hometown Stores, LLC carry proprietary Sears' brands, such as Craftsman, Kenmore and DieHard, as well as a wide assortment of national brands. In addition, Sears Hometown Stores are locally owned and operated by dedicated, hard working individuals that take great pride in serving their communities and representing Sears nationwide. For more information, visit Sears Hometown Stores' website at www.searshometownstores.com.