|Item Weight (lbs.):||67|
|Weight in Box (lbs.):||72|
|Cuts per Minute:||1800|
|Depth Measurement System:||No|
|Feed Rate (FPM):||26|
|Integrated Chip Management:||Yes|
|Lock On Switch:||No|
|Switch Type:||Locking Paddle Switch|
|Cord Length (Feet):||6|
|Drive Motor System:||Universal|
|Depth of Cut Range:||0 to 3/32|
|Maximum Cut Depth:||3/32"|
|Maximum Thickness of Stock (in.):||6|
|Width Cutting Capacity:||12.5|
|Warranties & Coverage:|
|General Warranty:||12 Months|
|Housing Material:||Plastic Body with Machined Aluminum Base|
|Power and Performance:|
|Package Contents:||Planer, Crank handle, Chip Chute, Manual|
Ratings & Reviews
12 Amp Bench Planer Delivers Sheer Surfaces Fast
The perfect finish every time, this Craftsman 12-1/2'' bench planer brings the strength and accuracy of two HSS double-edged blades traveling on four precision machined steel posts to every work piece. Featuring a glass-smooth granite base, whether you’re passing soft or hardwoods through this planer, each piece will glide through while the 9,400 RPM motor powers the removal of imperfections at a rate of 18,000 cuts per minute, channeling dust and debris toward the dust collection chute that easily connects with any shop vac.
If you’re serious about wood working, this 12 amp bench planer is designed for you. Built with a smooth rolling 26 foot-per-minute auto feed function, it delivers consistent results while the max 12-½ inch width and versatile 1/8–6 inch work height takes care of boards, slabs and more. Solid and dependable, its 67 pound weight ensures stability during operation, while the adjustable feed/out feed tables ensure a clean start and finish for every piece that passes through this powerful machine. A shop essential for a job well done, set-up with planer and get results you can count on.
- Craftsman 12-1/2'' bench planer included accessories: Blade change tools, dust collection chute
- 12 Amp universal motor operates with any standard household outlet
- 2-HSS double edged blades with index pin alignment for quick easy blade changes
- Roller case and cutter head travel on 4 precision machined steel posts for accurate depth settings and a smooth, quality finish
- Cutter head rotates at 9,400 RPM producing 18,000 cuts per minute
- Automatically feeds wood through the planer at 26 FPM
- In-feed and out feed extension tables fold up for fast storage
- Reversible dust collection chute connects to a wet/dry vac to keep shop clean (vac not included)
- Max work piece height: 6 in., minimum work piece height: 1/8 in.
Added on May 13, 2010
Overall, others give this:
Reviewers may have received a benefit, like a sweepstakes entry or rewards program points, in exchange for writing a review.
Those benefits were not conditioned on the positive or negative content of the review.
Most Helpful Reviews
I purchased this planer with the intent of planing rough sawn red oak lumber for a number of projects I am working on. As an ?after 5:00? craftsman with enough hours in the shop since I was a tot to know what to look for, I was able to identify enough features of this planer that were attractive to me; especially for the price (which was less than list). After bringing 5/4 (1.25?), 8? random width (average 6? width) red oak boards down to 4/4 (1?) I can now say I am quite satisfied with the purchase. Here are a few positive notes for those thinking of making this purchase.
1) The planer is very powerful and was not reluctant to pull in even a 10? wide board at a half-turn interval which planes exactly .03?. You cannot plane more than that as the feed tooth begins to scrape at the surface of the board and won?t allow it to pass through. Note: Many household circuits run at 15 amps over 14 gauge electrical wire. If you bog this down enough, while even having a few lights on, you may pop your breaker. Also be sure to mount this to a fixed surface.
2) The dust collection removes 95% (+/-) of dust when used with a shop vacuum. When you?re removing .25? of lumber over 8? you?re actually taking off a very large amount of wood. Prepare for frequent trips to the woods to dump your dust or consider a larger dust collection system. Note: Shop vacuums can run at 10+ amps. Be sure to verify your circuit?s breaker is enough to satisfy the requirements of 20+ amps before running a shop vaccum on the same circuit as your planer.
3) I was able to plane 25 8? random width (average 6? width) red oak boards from 5/4 (1.25?) down to 4/4 (1?) before I began to notice the need to give the board a bit of assistance to feed through the machine. If you read the instructions (and I suggest you read them twice!) the troubleshooting section suggests you clean wood chips from the roller chains or from the out feed roller if this is to happen. But what it doesn?t mention is that a more logical reason for the board not feeing is because the blades have become dull and it takes more time for the wood to be planed than the rollers can feed. What it also doesn?t describe in more thorough detail, is that the blades can be flipped once dull and the other side is sharp as new. You basically get a free set of blades with the machine. So use the amount that I just described as a starting point to keep an eye on the feeding lag.
4) Blades are inexpensive and quite easy to both reverse and replace. Other brands can charge a much more aggressive premium for replacement blades. I saved enough money buying rough sawn lumber and planing them myself over finished lumber than I was able to buy this planer and an extra set of blades and still have money left over.
Here are a few less than positive thoughts.
1) The blade access tray is tough to remove. It requires some muscle so don?t be afraid of pushing on it a bit to get it to pop out.
2) The two top screws fastening the top return roller on the power switch side worked their way out while in use and the machine nearly collapsed on itself. I also almost passed the screw right the planer. Be sure they?re tight.
3) One full turn in either direction of the elevation lever does not equal 1/16? as posted. Again, one-half turn is equal to exactly .03? so a full turn will give you .06?.
4) This planer uses brushes and they need to be checked frequently and replaced when worn. Most around-the-house craftsman will not be used to this feature.
5) It is very powerful therefore it is LOUD. Wear ear protection.
La Vista, NE
excellent piece of equipment for my shop. Its small in size and powerful in stature. I wish I could get the sniping out of it though. it left some pretty good ridgeson a quality project that required alot of sanding to get rid of it.
Never had one, needed one, I've Craftsman tools for years and always satisfied with their performance. I know there are probably better planers out there but this one does the trick for me. For the money can't beat it.
Rio Rico, AZ
The gears lifting the cutter head broke during second use. Did not handle mesquite. The cutter could not handle more than a 64th of an inch per run. To thin an 8th of an inch required more than 8 passes. It may work on soft woods but that is of no use to me. Warranty is proving to be more heartburn than anything. It has been at the Sears drop-off point since 19 Mar. It will be 9 May before any results are expected. In the past I have always had good results with Sears products. This has been terrible.
New Castle, PA
I just bought this planer last month, but I've already used it a lot. I am tremendously happy with the quality of the cuts and the adjustment mechanism. I glue a lot of hardwood strips together to make 1 by 12s. The planer cuts so smooth I barely had to sand. Tremendously impressed.
I returned mine. Too much chatter for fine finish planing. Cutter heads run too slow and there is not enough horsepower to cut to specks claim of depth. OK if you are a hobbyist with the most basic of needs. Craftsman advertiser two better models but they were not available in my area (Go figure Sears thinking this out). Bought a DeWalt DW735X at twice the price. It was like going from a Pinto to a Corvette. Worth it if you really value quality! Nifty
This is my first planer. It was an easy setup and did every thing I wanted from it. I have some old oak boards from a barn and this unit clean them up with no problem.
- Free shipping! Orders $59 or more Offer ends 31-Dec-2015 See details.
- Use your Sears Card and Save! Extra 5% off Tool items Sold By Sears when you use your Sears Card Offer ends 31-Dec-2015 See details.
- Get Quarter ct tw Diamond Earrings for $24.99 with a purchase of $19.99 or more! Limit 1 per order Offer ends 14-Feb-2015 See details.
- Get Diamond accent Heart Earrings for $29.99 with a purchase of $19.99 or more! Limit 1 per order Offer ends 23-Feb-2015 See details.