How does sears.com ensure that my information is secure?
Sears.com will maintain practices and procedures designed to ensure the security, integrity and confidentiality of customer information. We restrict and limit access to customer information only to those employees of Sears, members of the Sears family of businesses, and trusted service providers who need it to carry out their business functions. We educate our employees about safeguarding customer information and preventing its unauthorized access, disclosure, or use. When credit card information is transmitted online, sears.com uses industry standard security measures called SSL (secure socket layer encryption). Sears.com will monitor and adopt, as appropriate, new technological improvements that are designed to aid in ensuring the accuracy and security of customer information.
How does sears.com protect my information?
Sears.com maintains practices and procedures designed to ensure the security, integrity, and confidentiality of customer information.
As one of the most-trusted places to shop, sears.com follows best practices and uses technologies to keep orders safe and secure.
- Sears restricts and limits access to customer information. Only employees of Sears, members of the Sears family of businesses, and trusted service providers who need customer information in order to carry out their business functions have access to customer information.
- Sears educates employees about safeguarding customer information and preventing its unauthorized access, disclosure, or use.
- Sears.com uses SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) to encrypt sensitive information like credit card numbers before they are sent to sears.com over the Internet.
- Sears monitors and adopts new technological improvements designed to ensure the accuracy and security of customer information.
How can I protect myself from e-mail fraud?
Fraudulent or "spoofed" e-mail requests personal information like credit card numbers on behalf of an established company when, in reality, the e-mail is from an unauthorized or phony source.
Fraudulent e-mail often contains stolen company logos or hyperlinks leading to a page that looks like an established company's web site. The identity thieves who maintain these sites pose as someone you trust and try to collect your personal information.
Sears.com is working hard to help protect you from such schemes. The following guidelines help determine if an e-mail has been forged:
- Sears.com never asks you to transmit personal information like your password, bank account number, PIN, or credit card information via e-mail. Providing information on our web site is safe and secure.
- Sears.com never sends e-mail claiming we lost your account information or need you to update your records via e-mail.
- Sears.com never threatens to close accounts or cancel orders if you do not provide personal information via e-mail.
What if I receive fraudulent e-mail?
Here's what to do if you suspect you received a fraudulent e-mail claiming to be from Sears:
- Forward the e-mail directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do not copy and paste the fraudulent e-mail into a new e-mail message. All emails have special header information that may help to identify the fraudster. Cutting and pasting loses this information. Without the original email header information, it is impossible to trace the origin of the fraudulent email.
- Do not send the e-mail as an attachment. Like cutting and pasting, forwarding emails as attachments risks losing the trackable header information and the ability to trace the email's origin.
- Do not change the e-mail's subject line. Subject lines are often the first way for us to to identify a pattern of potentially fradulent emails.
- Never provide personal or sensitive information in an e-mail.
Will my credit card be secure?
You can feel safe shopping at Sears Online. All of our credit card transactions are secured using SSL technology (Secure Socket Layer), which begins before you give us any personal information, and remains secure throughout your visit. Further, your credit card number is encrypted before it is transmitted to our system. Sears guarantees that your online transaction will be secure, and that your credit information will be protected. If you ever have any questions, please feel free to e-mail us at Sears.